[directfb-dev] Re: graphics on fbdev console

On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 03:54:52PM +0200, Denis Oliver Kropp wrote:
> > as far as I understood it, modes as 791 are graphics modes
> > anyway, aren't they? -- is it possible then to write graphics
> > to the current console, maybe occupying something like the
> > top half of the screen so that I could display graphics and
> > still have a shell prompt simultaneously ?
>
> No that's not possible, the console does panning on the
> framebuffer, we do too for double buffering fullscreen modes.

Console panning can easily be disabled. Infact, many drivers already
support disabling panning. tdfxfb for instance has a 'nopan' variable
that is set at load time, fb_pan_display() returns -EINVAL if it's
been set.

While this may not be particularly useful for general usage, it could
be useful for some applications with special requirements, such as
the one stated above.

Regards,

--
Paul Mundt <pmundt@mvista.com>
MontaVista Software, Inc.

    [ Part 2, Application/PGP-SIGNATURE  248bytes. ]
    [ Unable to print this part. ]