[directfb-dev] Re: graphics on fbdev console

[directfb-dev] Re: graphics on fbdev console

Quoting Paul Mundt (pmundt@mvista.com):
> On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 03:54:52PM +0200, Denis Oliver Kropp wrote:
> > > as far as I understood it, modes as 791 are graphics modes
> > > anyway, aren't they? -- is it possible then to write graphics
> > > to the current console, maybe occupying something like the
> > > top half of the screen so that I could display graphics and
> > > still have a shell prompt simultaneously ?
> >
> > No that's not possible, the console does panning on the
> > framebuffer, we do too for double buffering fullscreen modes.
> >
> Console panning can easily be disabled. Infact, many drivers already
> support disabling panning. tdfxfb for instance has a 'nopan' variable
> that is set at load time, fb_pan_display() returns -EINVAL if it's
> been set.
>
> While this may not be particularly useful for general usage, it could
> be useful for some applications with special requirements, such as
> the one stated above.

If we disable the keyboard routines in DirectFB it should work,
i.e. disable all things that render the terminal useless.

There are some ANSI sequences to have the terminal just use a
part of the screen.

( convergence           )
( integrated media gmbh )