[directfb-dev] Re: gifs and windows

Hi,

> > btw: what is the status of a xcf (gimp) loader? Christian Kreibich has
> > recently written a loader for Rastermans Imlib2 which could probably
> > serve as an excellent basis for this.

Interesting. I wonder how they solved the legal issues this time.
Can you point me to the source?

> XCF would be nice, but RenderTo would have the effect of flattening the
> image. How do our GIMP hackers think about it?

To implement the layer projection code from Gimp correctly, we would
have to reimplement a lot of the blending functions in the loader since
they will not all map to the Porter-Duff rules in DirectFB. Since the
Gimp's XCF format will change soon and is going to include a preview of
the merged-down image, writing an XCF loader now is probably a waste of
time.

If you want to do it, you are of course free to do so. Please notice that
we would most likely not include such a loader with DirectFB. Bundling
it with DFBSee might make sense however. But IMHO it would make much more
sense to do a gdk-pixbuf or an imlib2 image provider. This would enable
DFBSee to load a whole bunch of formats without reimplementing the wheel
once more.

Salut, Sven