[directfb-dev] Re: TV oriented application needs; was:ANNOUNCE: DirectFB

[directfb-dev] Re: TV oriented application needs; was:ANNOUNCE: DirectFB 0.9.12

Hi,

"Brian J. Murrell" <793e73ba16e8d74e4b4a472021d1ca25@interlinx.bc.ca> writes:

> > I migth be misunderstanding something here, but why don't you use
> > windows to blend the onscreen GUI over the TV image? This approach
> > should work perfectly fine and is completely hardware-accelerated
> > on a Matrox card.
>
> Can this be done when the two windows are different applications?
> i.e. if one had an app showing a TV stattion full-screen, could one
> use another app to blend (I am assuming as in a translucent layer on
> top) and OSD on top of that?

sure. If you compile DirectFB with the multi-application core, you can
have one app draw the video window and another app draw a
(translucent) window on top of it. You may create the window with true
alpha channel and/or apply a configurable window opacity. The
multi-application core is still considered experimental but it seems
to work pretty well nevertheless.

Salut, Sven