On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 07:07:07AM +0200, Ville Syrjälä wrote:

> One thing that just came to mind... I'm not actually sure if we
> should be using 720x486 or 720x480. It may very well be that maven is
> programmed for 720x480 and we try to feed it 720x486 data. I'm not
> sure if that would cause problems since vtotal remains the same but it
> might cause some weirdness. You might try changing all occurances of 486
> to 480 in matrox_crtc2.c.

OK.  Did that.  No help.  I don't think I have seen any tearing in a
while, but I still see "old fields" re-appear.  It's most visible in
scene changes and horizontal motion.  In scene changes, I see a flash
between the old and new scene.  It is most visible if the scene
changes from dark to light.  During horizontal motion, I see judder.
I have a scene of a waiter walking across a scene, left to right.  As
he moves, he moves left to right, but as he does, he makes quick short
movements right to left.  This would be "old frames" re-appearing
briefly.

This is all using MPlayer with -vsync and -dfbmga.

P.S.  This fix (486 -> 480) has other good (I think) effects.  I am
now seeing 29.97 vsync interrupts per second.  I wonder though, why
29.97 and not 59.94?  Are we only getting a vsync per frame, and not
per field?  Could that explain why old fields are being put back into
display?

I am definately leaning towards believing there is some kind of timing
problem between MPlayer->DFB->G400.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell