[directfb-dev] Re: how to CreateSurface on CRTC2 layer for G400

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 07:30:18PM -0500, a40e8119bbddbe7b3d281db117f19b32@interlinx.bc.ca wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 06:31:32PM +0200, Ville Syrjälä wrote:
> > - data->layer = dfb_layer_at( DLID_PRIMARY );
> > + data->layer = dfb_layer_at( 2 );
>
> OK.  I will try this, but I am not sure it answers my question.

Well I didn't expect it to :) It's just to test how the code behaves if
the default layer isn't the fbdev layer.

> Now I have several directfb apps that I want to run.  Let's say I want
> to run an SDL game on the first head and a GTK "set-top" type TV
> application on the second head.

So what you really want is proper multi-head support. The CRTC2 layer
isn't really desgined for this. Just like in Windows you can choose
between clone, multi and DVDMax. matroxfb should provide clone and multi
and CRTC2 layer should provide DVDMax. Currently clone and DVDMax work
fine but multi isn't supported. I don't think the input support is ready
for this either.

> But when I tell them that
> the user will want to be able to specify which layer he wants to use,
> how do they code up SDL to take this option and deal with it?

Well you can have an option to specify the layer id. And if
GetDisplayLayer() fails with that id you can bail out or fall back to
DLID_PRIMARY. Or you could have the user specify a layer name and use
GetName() via EnumDisplayLayers(). But for this kind of app I think the
layer id could be better.