[directfb-dev] Re: how to CreateSurface on CRTC2 layer for G400

[directfb-dev] Re: how to CreateSurface on CRTC2 layer for G400

Quoting a40e8119bbddbe7b3d281db117f19b32@interlinx.bc.ca (a40e8119bbddbe7b3d281db117f19b32@interlinx.bc.ca):
> On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:41:07PM +0100, Denis Oliver Kropp wrote:
> >
> > I can add an environment variable like SDL_DIRECTFB_LAYERID or similar
> > as the DirectFB backend is written by me.
>
> An environment variable works for me.  How does setting (or not
> setting) this variable jive with the /etc/directfbrc settings:
>
> matrox-crtc2
> matrox-tv-standard=ntsc
>
> It's obvious the latter says that my CRTC2 is attached to an NTSC TV,
> but the former seems to be a directive that DirectFB applications
> should use the TV-Out (head 2) rather than the monitor (head 1).  This
> seems limiting to me.  I want to be able to run DirectFB applications
> and have some use the monitor and some the TV-Out, simultaneiously.

matrox-crtc2 only enables the availability of the additional layers.
It doesn't have any impact on applications that don't explicitly use
these layers.

> Am I reading correctly that the DirectFB SDL backend was written by
> you?  Is it you I should bug with changes to SDL-on-DirectFB to
> support using different layers?

Yes, that's right. :)

What about using the second head for SDL overlay surfaces only?