[directfb-dev] Re: thoughts on why MPlayer dfbmga might be stuttering

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 03:18:55PM -0600, Billy Biggs wrote:

>   For sure.  You can see this pretty easily with the CNN text crawl.

Indeed.

> Also make sure mplayer is posting frames regularily, not speeding up and
> slowing down around i-frames.  You should do a null output driver that
> just takes timestamps and look at them and compare that way first.

Do you mean -nosound -benchmark -vo null?

>   I mean, my ideal thing for 'movietime' was to have it so that I could
> sync to the video refresh rate.

Right!

> PC apps don't like to do this: they
> like to sync to your soundcard.

Only because sound blips are more noticible than video blips though,
right?

> Since your soundcard isn't at exactly
> 48000khz, it's at like 47500, that adds alot to the 'phase-lock'
> problem.

The NVrec programs actually "strech" sound to maintain a/v sync.  I
wonder if that's any help?

>   I thought your problem was actually stuff jumping back in time though,
> not just the occasional frame-hold?

Yeah, actually it is.  I see old frames re-appear.  Oh well, so much
for my idea that it's a phase-lock problem.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell