[directfb-dev] Re: Video overlay questions

Ville Syrjälä wrote:
> Out of curiosity... Why not a full fbdev driver?

If I had gone down that path, I wouldn't even have started on the DFB driver
yet. :-) An fbdev module would be based on the XFree86 driver, which is
pretty impressive; It can handle eight different TV-output encoders, LCD
displays and dual outputs (eg TV+CRT). There's even code for extracting
mode-tables from the BIOS, in case they ever change. It is really excellent
that VIA has released it as open source.

Unfortunately, the source code is huge, and very messy. It is a large task
to create a framebuffer driver that isn't lacking in some way. IMHO it
should be a team effort.

/Andreas