[directfb-dev] Re: Video overlay questions

Michel Dänzer wrote:
> /dev/cle266vgaio can very well exist without the kernel module, in
> particular if /dev isn't mounted as devfs. If you at least opened it and
> verified that it behaves as expected...

I do that too. The device is opened and mmapped in driver_init_driver(). I
know there is a function for this in DirectFB, but this way I can ask the
hardware where the IO registers are in the physical memory space, instead of
assuming that they are right behind the framebuffer.

At any rate, this is just a stopgap solution until a real framebuffer device
is developed. When that happens, changes to the DFB driver will be minimal.

Off topic: Btw, isn't the framebuffer becoming somewhat of a shared
resource? Wouldn't it be appropriate with a memory manager for it, in the
DRM module perhaps?

/Andreas