[directfb-users] Re: Reply-to function - Off Topic Message

"Sven Neumann" <neo@convergence.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "Duncan Webb" <duncan@dwebb.ch> writes:
>
> > I have a small wish, would it be possible add the reply-to: email
> > header line so that it points to directfb-users@directfb.org. Then
> > when reply is chosen the message goes to the list and not the
> > sender.
>
> Setting the Reply-To: header field by the mailing-list server is
> considered harmful for some good reasons. Please read
>
>   http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html.

This is an interesting article and seems to be based from sending person mail to
a list.

When you reply to a message on the list most, if not all, of the time you want
to send the reply to the list.

Using reply-all means that you should then edit the to: and cc: line of the mail
to only send the reply to the list. Otherwise the sender receives two mails.

Forgetting to use reply-all means that it the thread is broken and so it the
message later comes back to the list then other members wonder what they have
missed.

If you wish to send a reply directly to the sender then it's not exactly
difficult, but since it is an exception rather than the rule you need to be a
little more careful.

As for sending out personal messages on a list, well....

Mailing lists are a good source of email addresses for spammers, so you should
be able to "hide" your real address when posting to a list. If this was allowed,
and I know it's not for the directfb-users, then the reply would cause a lot of
bounced messages.

It is only a wish from my experiences and I will try to remember to use the
reply-all.

TTFN
Duncan