[directfb-users] Re: Issues with multi application core and literun/DFBT

[directfb-users] Re: Issues with multi application core and literun/DFBTerm

CB, thanks for your input. I am compiling one machine running Slackware 9.1 and moving DirectFB over to the i810 machine. I applied the fusion patch to kernel 2.6.0-test9 and it worked. I grabbed the latest fusiondev.c and fusionee.c from CVS and put them in the appropriate kernel directory of 2.6.0-test9 and then ran 'make menuconfig' setup Fusion as a module then ran 'make modules'. It then compiled the module just fine, whereas just applying the patch (full) didn't work for me. Also, with the newer kernels, the modules are named *.ko not *.o

Now, in order for me to get DirectFB to compile, i have to compile it against kernel 2.4.22. For some reason DirectFB doesn't like fb.h from the new kernel (and other files as well). So, in short, the i810 machine is using kernel 2.6.0-test9 with a DirectFB compiled against kernel 2.4.22. Yeah, it may seem wierd and all but it's the only way i could get the framebuffer on the i810 machine. If i could get DirectFB to compile against kernel 2.6.0-test9 maybe it would work right. But i'm not really sure.

I was getting so perterbed (sp) that i went out to a computer shop and bought a used Matrox G200 to stick in the i810 machine and just use kernel 2.4.22 but when i got home and put it in the machine all i got was a beep beep beep (bad card). :( I'm having no luck. Funny isn't it.

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Nezzo

Christopher Bergeron wrote:

I've had similar issues. I don't have any text visible in any of my GTK+ directfb applications; if it helps, I'm on Slackware 9.1.

Also, I tried to build fusion (from CVS) for the 2.6.0-test9 kernel and the make fails. The patch (full) applies just fine, but when I enable Fusion and then try to build the kernel it fails. I'll post the exact error message when I get home tonight.

I wish I could post an answer to your problem; but unfortunately, I'm having similar issues instead.

Best regards,
CB

nezzo wrote:

Hello all,
I am fairly new to mailing lists and linux in general, so bare with me. I just read Duncan's message on sending to lists so that was right on time before i sent this out. Anyway, I am having a little trouble getting literun and DFBTerm to work in a multi app core. First, a few details about my settup.

Intel i810
Kernel 2.6.0-test9
DirectFB from CVS - actually compiled against kernel 2.4.22 cause it won't compile against 2.6.0-test9 (a whole other issue i might post about later which might be the cause of my problem, but not sure yet)

First, let me note on what does work. I did get mplayer to work as well as DFBSee. They both work just fine.

Ok, when i start literun i get the messages below.

(*) parsing config file '/etc/directfbrc'.

---------------------- DirectFB v0.9.21 ---------------------
(c) 2000-2002 convergence integrated media GmbH (c) 2002-2003 convergence GmbH -----------------------------------------------------------

(*) Multi Application Core. (with MMX support) (2003-11-06 21:44)
(*) DirectFB/misc/memcpy: using SSE optimized memcpy()
(*) DirectFB/InputDevice: IMPS/2 Mouse 0.9 (convergence integrated media GmbH)
(*) DirectFB/InputDevice: Keyboard 0.9 (convergence integrated media GmbH)
(*) MMX detected and enabled
(*) DirectFB/GraphicsDevice: MMX Software Rasterizer 0.6 (convergence integrated media GmbH)
(*) DirectFB/Layer: Enabled 'FBDev Primary Layer'.
<<< LiTE Font >>> cache_get_entry: loading `/dfb/usr/local/share/fonts/truetype/whiterabbit.ttf' (16)...
(*) DirectFB/Interface: Loaded 'FT2' implementation of 'IDirectFBFont'.
<<< LiTE Font >>> cache_get_entry: * new cache entry added for '/dfb/usr/local/share/fonts/truetype/whiterabbit.ttf' with size 16
(*) DirectFB/Interface: Loaded 'PNG' implementation of 'IDirectFBImageProvider'.
<<< LiTE Font >>> cache_get_entry: loading `/dfb/usr/local/share/fonts/truetype/arial.ttf' (14)...
<<< LiTE Font >>> cache_get_entry: font loading failed, using fallback!
lite_get_font: Could not load '/dfb/usr/local/share/fonts/truetype/arial.ttf'!
(!) [ 426: 0.464] --> Caught signal 11 (at 0x5c, invalid address) <--
(!!!) *** CAUTION [setting window->stack = NULL] *** windows.c (253)
Segmentation fault

Now, the weird thing is, i copied the arial.ttf font from a windows machine and placed it in the font directory and then literun would start up. Which seemed kinda odd to me. once literun was up my mouse didn't work, it was jumping all over the screen when i moved it. I tried different protocals and none would work. Also i could not read what i typed in the command box in literun because the font was white. I tried running literun a few times with different options noted in directfbrc(5) but nothing helped. I tried runing DFBTerm from literun and from just the console but it would not run at all.

DFBTerm output is as follows.

[...]

vt_forkpty failed.
<<< LiTE Font >>> cache_release_entry: - destroying cache entry '/dfb/usr/local/share/fonts/truetype/whiterabbit.ttf' (16)

In short, literun only starts up with the arial.ttf in the font directory along with a jumpy mouse and not me being able to read anything i type, and DFBTerm doesn't start at all.

There is nothing special from dmesg other than this:

psmouse.c: Wheel Mouse at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost synchronization, throwing 3 bytes away.
psmouse.c: Wheel Mouse at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost synchronization, throwing 3 bytes away.
psmouse.c: Wheel Mouse at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost synchronization, throwing 2 bytes away.

Which probably has something to do with me running through my KVM switch.

I hope i provided enough information to maybe tweak somebodys brain but if not let me know what else it is you need and i will post it.

Regards,
Nezzo