[directfb-users] Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] matrox 550 tv out and mplayer pro

[directfb-users] Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] matrox 550 tv out and mplayer problem

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 09:52:23AM -0500, Neil Radisch wrote:

> > So with telecine you get:
> > 1T 1B 1T 2B 2T 3B ...
> >
> > and what mplayer does is:
> > 1        2     3 ...
> >
> > So you get 23.976 frames per second but it takes just as long as the 59.94
> > fields in the telecine case.
> >

> That doesn't sound right. Telecine should generate
> 1T/1B
> 2T/2B
> 2T/3B
> 3T/4B
> 4T/4B
>
> If mplayer is merely delaying frames then the 2T/3B and 3T/4B constructs
> would never occur.

They don't need to happen on a progressive display?

> This could be happening, except the film material looks
> awfully clean
> on my TV for this to be the case.
>
> Also, mplayer says that "inverse telecine" is active. Why would that be?
>
> -----
> demux_mpg: 3:2 TELECINE detected, enabling inverse telecine fx. FPS changed
> to 23.976!
> ------
>
> If the material is really 23.976, then it should be doing telecine, not
> inverse-telecine.
> But perhaps again this is just a text error.

Really it's not telecine or inverce telecine. It's simply not doing the
telecine at all. Which is why it's sort of inverece telecine. At least
that's how I think it works but don't count on it :) Mplayer does have a
real inverce telecine filter but that is only required when the material
is already telecined.

> Yeah me to. I don't suppose there's someone out there who actually knows
> what
> mplayer is doing internally in this case that we could bring into the
> conversation?

Probably asking on mplayer (-users ?) list could help. Either that or
start reading the source.... :)