[directfb-users] Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] matrox 550 tv out and mplayer pro

[directfb-users] Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] matrox 550 tv out and mplayer problem

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 10:32:00PM -0500, Neil Radisch wrote:
> I'm in the US. NTSC.

Damn. There goes my theory :)

> The chunky artifacts are definitely due to scaling. Normally I use -aspect
> 1.5 (For some
> reason -aspect 4:3 looks too tall on all my televisions.... is this a bug?).

-aspect overrides the the source aspect ratio. Why do you need to use it?
-monitoraspect sets the output aspect ratio but with normal TVs the
default 4:3 should be ok.

> Now in this
> case removing the -aspect 1.5, or replacing it with -aspect 4:3, removes the
> interlace artifacts,
> however now the motion on the video is rather jerky. Field parity doesn't
> seem to have any
> effect on it ( well it does have some effect. It can make the motion REALLY
> jerky if I fiddle with it).

:(

> This raises a number of questions:
>
> 1) Given that my television is NTSC, why is the motion jerky

I'm not sure.

> 3) Why can't mplayer just figure all this stuff out?

It wasn't desgined to. I don't think the developers gave interlaced or
telecine or other stuff any though initially. Hopefully mplayer-G2 will
handle this sort of stuff correctly.

As for DirectFB I'm not entirely happy with the current fieldparity stuff
since it makes the process sleep a lot. But fixing that would require
kernel support...