[directfb-users] Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] matrox 550 tv out andmplayer prob

[directfb-users] Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] matrox 550 tv out andmplayer problem

I'm in the US. NTSC.

Sorry about the torrent of messages, but I think I'm getting close to the
problem here.

The chunky artifacts are definitely due to scaling. Normally I use -aspect
1.5 (For some
reason -aspect 4:3 looks too tall on all my televisions.... is this a bug?).

For telecine stuff this seems to work fine. I guess all the necessary
scaling occurs before
the pull-down generates the fields.

The 29.97 stuff seems to be interlaced on the disk. Any scaling, in my
case due to the -aspect 1.5 switch, causes the "chunky" interlace artifacts.
Now in this
case removing the -aspect 1.5, or replacing it with -aspect 4:3, removes the
interlace artifacts,
however now the motion on the video is rather jerky. Field parity doesn't
seem to have any
effect on it ( well it does have some effect. It can make the motion REALLY
jerky if I fiddle with it).

This raises a number of questions:

1) Given that my television is NTSC, why is the motion jerky
2) Why does -aspect 4:3 come out a bit too tall?
3) Why can't mplayer just figure all this stuff out?

Neil