[directfb-users] Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] matrox 550 tv out and mplayer pro

[directfb-users] Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] matrox 550 tv out and mplayer problem

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 10:42:27AM -0500, Neil Radisch wrote:
> Ok, I think I've narrowed the problem down. It seems to be a problem
> with the implementation of parity.
>
> If you recall, parity=0 gives me slightly jerky motion and parity=1 gives
> me very bad motion for 29.97 interlaced material.
>
> Well, just for laughs I played with 23.976 material, which normally plays
> very well. Now parity shouldn't have any effect here since the base material
> isn't interlaced. The results are curious.
>
> fieldparity=0    - slightly jerky
> fieldparity=1   - slightly jerky
> no parity specified - perfect!!!!!!!
>
> What this implies is that the setting of parity has a detrimental effect
> on playback. Perhaps the slightly jerky motion is not an interlace artifact
> in this case, but just a rendering delay caused by the code that implements
> parity?

That is possible. Sleeping is bad for performance. This used to be a
problem on slower machines even without fieldparity but triple buffering
fixed that.