[directfb-users] Re: pixelformat on cle266 overlay

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 04:07:03PM +0800, Selwyn Tang wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> When I first get display layer 1 (cle266 overlay) on an EPIA-M board,
> its default pixelformat is YUY2, on which the df_window example fails to
> display anything on the screen. I have to set it to ARGB or RGB32 to get
> the two windows shown.

Most (all?) cards can't write YUY2. And the software accel code can't
handle YUV formats very well either.

> But even so, the background image is not shown.

No idea about this one. Works fine with matrox.

> Also, when my mouse is over any of the window, and the window is
> changing the opacity, there is serious flickering, which doesn't happen
> when I use the primary layer.

Set the buffermode to backvideo.

> Any ideas? In fact, what is the use of the overlay?

YUV support is probably the number one reason for using overlays. Another
good reason is hw scaling.

> Should I develop my
> how application on the primary layer instead, without any performance
> penalty?

No idea since I don't know what your application is supposed to do.