[directfb-users] Re: G450 two outputs (X primary, DirectFB secondary)

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 03:35:42PM +0100, Maarten den Braber wrote:
> I've patched a 2.4.24 kernel according to [1] and recompiled MPlayer.
> I'm able to display video with '-vo dfbmga' on the secondary head of my
> G450. But when I'm playing a video on the secondary head, the desktop on
> my primary head disappears! The primary head uses the Xfree86 mga driver
> on the first framebuffer (/dev/fb0). I've tried putting 'no-vt-switch'
> and 'no-vt-switching' in /etc/directfb, but no luck.

Don't even think about doing that. You would get some serious corruption
when the two drivers would use the card at the same time.

> Can anyone give me any pointers on how to have output on *both* heads of
> my videocard: a desktop on the first and simultaneous TV output on the
> second head? If it would involve running XDirectFB instead of the
> regular X11 it's no problem, but I haven't got a clue (or decent HOWTO)
> how to do that.

You need XDirectFB. The instructions are in the XDirectFB README.

> I hope you can help me out. Also tips about running Freevo with DirectFB
> would be very welkome because I haven't been able to get that running
> with DirectFB (pygame error).

I've never tried freevo so I can't help you. You could try asking on the
freevo forums.