[directfb-users] Re: new user with a few questions

[directfb-users] Re: new user with a few questions

Hi Ville,

Thanks for answering.

> > > scenario: i want a directfb application to run full screen and, on command,
> > > execute mplayer in a full-screen window while still allowing the application
> > > to display a transparent overlay.
> > > the question: is this what the multi-app core is for?
>
> multi-app core is for running multiple DirectFB applications
> simultaneosly. For example I usually run XDirectFB and run other apps from
> a terminal. Those apps include mplayer, DFBSee, UAE, and occasionally some
> stuff using SDL and/or OpenGL.

I think both his and my question are the same - essentially, will it be
possible to have output from mplayer full-screen while still allowing
the other dfb-using application to display over that ?

ie, is it for example possible to run XDirectFB, and have it start up
mplayer in a way similar to when mplayer would be using Xv on a regular
X server ?

I'm assuming multi-app core is a prerequisite, but not enough for this
to be possible, and I'm not sure if it's at all possible but I'd like to
get a confirmation or denial on this :)

> > If there is any of the core developers who could walk us through a
> > simple set of steps to get two apps running at the same time on the same
> > framebuffer, that would help us all a lot :)
>
> The steps are described in the README file.
>
> 1. Set up fusion
> 2. Compile DirectFB with --enable-multi
> 3. Install lite + DFBTerm or install XDirectFB

Yep, I should have been more clear.  Running XDirectFB and starting any
app in it works fine.  However, what I'd like (and what I guess a lot of
people would like) would be for a way to have a controlling app (a
panel-like one) and other applications like mplayer, preferably using
dfbmga somehow since it gives such good result, to share the
framebuffer, so that the "set top box" experience is kept.

Is this possible at all ?

If it's not currently, what would need to be done ? For GStreamer, we
are thinking about making a dfbsink, which would then be solely
responsible for the complete framebuffer display, and the upstream
pipeline would then have to do overlaying and video rendering at the
same time.
But it would be nice if it was possible right now for testing to have
one app do control overlaying and another video output, without them
getting in each other's way.

Thomas

on my grave
am I ok