[directfb-users] Re: new user with a few questions

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 09:24:50AM +0100, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> Hi Ville,
>
> Thanks for answering.

> > multi-app core is for running multiple DirectFB applications
> > simultaneosly. For example I usually run XDirectFB and run other apps from
> > a terminal. Those apps include mplayer, DFBSee, UAE, and occasionally some
> > stuff using SDL and/or OpenGL.
>
> I think both his and my question are the same - essentially, will it be
> possible to have output from mplayer full-screen while still allowing
> the other dfb-using application to display over that ?
> ie, is it for example possible to run XDirectFB, and have it start up
> mplayer in a way similar to when mplayer would be using Xv on a regular
> X server ?

vo_dfbmga doesn't handle windowed output and I doubt that vo_directfb
handles it either. Adding support for that would be quite simple though.

The DirectFB plugin I wrote for tvtime keeps the video overlay in a window
so you can resize and move it around just like with Xv.

> I'm assuming multi-app core is a prerequisite, but not enough for this
> to be possible, and I'm not sure if it's at all possible but I'd like to
> get a confirmation or denial on this :)

Anything is possible :)

> > > If there is any of the core developers who could walk us through a
> > > simple set of steps to get two apps running at the same time on the same
> > > framebuffer, that would help us all a lot :)
> >
> > The steps are described in the README file.
> >
> > 1. Set up fusion
> > 2. Compile DirectFB with --enable-multi
> > 3. Install lite + DFBTerm or install XDirectFB
>
> Yep, I should have been more clear.  Running XDirectFB and starting any
> app in it works fine.  However, what I'd like (and what I guess a lot of
> people would like) would be for a way to have a controlling app (a
> panel-like one) and other applications like mplayer, preferably using
> dfbmga somehow since it gives such good result, to share the
> framebuffer, so that the "set top box" experience is kept.
>
> Is this possible at all ?
>
> If it's not currently, what would need to be done ? For GStreamer, we
> are thinking about making a dfbsink, which would then be solely
> responsible for the complete framebuffer display, and the upstream
> pipeline would then have to do overlaying and video rendering at the
> same time.
> But it would be nice if it was possible right now for testing to have
> one app do control overlaying and another video output, without them
> getting in each other's way.

Doing that basically depends on what the hardware/driver supports.

With Matrox cards you could use the BES for video and use destination
colorkeying to make the control GUI appear on top of the video.

And if you need TV-out the control GUI could be drawn onto the
CRTC2 sub-picture layer (4bit colors + alpha) and video would use the
CRTC2 layer.

With CLE266 you should be able to use alpha blending to mix the video and
control GUI.

And of course there's the option of using a regular window for the video
and another one for the control GUI. Depending on the hardware/driver even
that solution can be fully hw accelerated. Matrox cards could do it.