[directfb-users] Re: directfb and dfbmga

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 10:14:47AM +0100, Werner John wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> First of all, thanks for DirectFB, I really like it!
>
> Last weekend, I played with mplayer's -vo option. Usually, I use -vo dfbmga
> (my hardware is a Matrox G450) to get an image on TV. Then, I used -vo
> directfb:layer=2 and also got an image on my TV, as expected. My question
> is now, what is the difference (technically)?

In that particular case very little. vo_dfbmga uses CRTC2 sub-picture
layer to display the OSD and vo_directfb renders the OSD onto the video.
There's also some difference how the two plugins use mplayer's direct
rendering mechanism. Oh and last time I checked vo_directfb always used
DSFLIP_WAITFORSYNC flag which makes triple buffering useless (it behaves
exactly the same as double buffering). vo_dfbmga uses DSFLIP_ONSYNC with
triple buffering.

There are some other differences too. vo_dfbmga supports output to CRTC2
and BES at the same time. And it also handles fullscreen playback on
the BES better than vo_directfb. vo_directfb is more versatile because it
tries to handle all kinds of hardware not just Matrox cards.