[directfb-users] Re: new user with a few questions

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 10:48:21AM -0600, Eldridge, Michael wrote:

> > I don't think vo_directfb supports output to a window. At least
> > vo_dfbmga doesn't. Layers contain windows, not the other way around.
>
> it was my understanding that directfb applications can run in a window
> without any special support.  does vo_directfb not "support" output to a
> window because it requests exclusive access to the layer or something
> similar?

Simple fullscreen apps that don't care about layers or windows can be
forced to windowed mode with the force-windowed option.

Such apps get the primary surface via CreateSurface() + DSCAPS_PRIMARY
surface capability.

More complex apps use the layer and window APIs and thus have more control
over things but it also means that you can't simply flip a magic switch
to make them windowed vs. fullscreen.

> > With some hardware (cle266) you could make the overlay layer use alpha
> > blending so you could display the video on the overlay and the control
> > interface on the primary layer.
>
> i'm still fuzzy on layers.  is the cle266 the only directfb driver that
> has an overlay layer?

Most drivers have at least one extra layer. It looks like nsc, sis315,
tdfx and radeon don't have extra layer support.

> is the additional layer something supported
> explicitly by the driver or an abstraction of segmented video memory?

It's a hardware feature that needs proper support from the driver.

> is the radeon driver not capable of such an overlay layer?

The driver doesn't support it. The hardware has at least one overlay so
adding support would be possible.