[directfb-users] Re: new user with a few questions

[directfb-users] Re: new user with a few questions

> > it was my understanding that directfb applications can run in a
> > window without any special support.  does vo_directfb not "support"
> > output to a window because it requests exclusive access to the layer
> > or something similar?
>
> Simple fullscreen apps that don't care about layers or windows can be
> forced to windowed mode with the force-windowed option.
>
> Such apps get the primary surface via CreateSurface() + DSCAPS_PRIMARY
> surface capability.

gotcha, force is definitely not what i want.  :)

> More complex apps use the layer and window APIs and thus have more
> control over things but it also means that you can't simply flip a
> magic switch to make them windowed vs. fullscreen.

gotcha.  is it trivial to resize the window so that it occupies the
entire screen?  additionally, is any hardware acceleration lost when
running in windowed mode?

> > is the radeon driver not capable of such an overlay layer?
>
> The driver doesn't support it. The hardware has at least one overlay
> so adding support would be possible.

doh.  radeon 7500 is what i'm currently using in my dev machine.  it's
not a big deal, but before i'm able to plop the cash on a via m10k
board, i'd like to become more familiar with dfb's usage.  from what
i've read in the list archives, radeon is expected to be the next dfb
driver to be as full featured as matrox/cle266.  any idea if the radeon
driver will have an extra layer within the next couple of months?
perhaps i'll be able to hack on it as i become more familiar with dfb's
internals.

-mike