[directfb-users] Re: NSC Geode display driver with FBDirect

[directfb-users] Re: NSC Geode display driver with FBDirect

AMD (who took over Geode processors from NSC) has an updated framebuffer driver available (release 2.7.7 for kernel 2.4.17). It's available at:

http://wwwd.amd.com/amd/developer.nsf/

You must create an account at their site to access the driver and other Geode related documentation/software.

I've asked them if they intend to upgrade the driver to support the 2.6 kernel and the answer was no, for GX1 or GX2. They are only considering the driver maintenance for GX3 processors (but even this is not clear).

Regards,
José Gonçalves

Michael McLellan wrote:
Hi, Firstly thanks for DirectFB it's been very helpful.

I'm using the Geode framebuffer driver from Alex Pavloff's website
(http://www.eason.com/linux/) and DirectFB with the NSC driver.

Everything works OK but the screen is drawn very slowly. Depending on
how complicated the screen is I get between 6 - 12 fps. If I disable HW
acceleration the the directfbrc file I get the same performance, so I'm
guessing my HW acceleration isn't working properly.

I get the following on stderr:

Dependent NSC Kernel FrameBuffer driver version is 2.7.7 or later
(*) DirectFB/GraphicsDevice: nsc NSC GX1/GX2 driver version 1.1 (NSC)
(*) DirectFB/Layer: Enabled 'FBDev Primary Layer'.
 (!!!)  *** CAUTION [setting new configuration failed] *** layers.c
(865)

Can anyone tell me the sort of performance I should be getting and have
any pointers as to the cause of my problems.

Thanks heaps, Michael McLellan