[directfb-users] Re: DirectFB crosscompile - How ?

[directfb-users] Re: DirectFB crosscompile - How ?

Hi,

Jose Miguel Goncalves <jose.goncalves@inov.pt> writes:

> It should be must it is not. Has I told my experience is on
> cross-compiling GTK+ over DirectFB. If you set only LIBS and not
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH the configure process will abort with something like
> that  :
>
> *** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.4.4, but GLIB (2.4.2)
> *** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best
> *** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be able to fix the erro
> *** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing
> *** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is
> *** required on your system.
> *** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH
> *** to point to the correct configuration files
>
> In this example, I have previously cross-compiled Glib 2.4.4 and then,
> when I try to cross-compile ATK setting only LIBS (and not
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH) it gives that error because it has found the host
> GLIB (version 2.4.2) and not my cross-compiled version.

That is not surprising.

> > The LD_LIBRARY_PATH is only relevant during runtime AFAIK.
> >

> I used to think that also but against facts...
>
> Also if you don't patch the .pc files or change the pkg-config calls
> with "--define-variable=prefix=<temporary target directory>" you will
> get problems because the build process will try to compile against
> host libraries (located in /usr/lib) and not with the correct target
> libraries that we have stored in a temporary location.

Again, that is the expected behaviour for any software using autoconf
and automake. configure checks if libraries are available by compiling
and linking code snippets. So you will have to run the configure in
the same environment that the compiled software is supposed to run.

These checks are however not being performed if configure is aware of
the fact that you are cross-compiling.

Sven