[directfb-users] Re: adding a new device to directFB

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 10:09:12AM -0700, Griffiths, RichardX A wrote:
> I'm looking into what it would take to support the Intel 830 graphics
> under directFB.
>
> What is required to add a driver to directfb? Does a linux frame buffer
> device (/dev/fb?) have to already exist for the device?

Yes you need a framebuffer driver. And it looks like it already exists.

http://www.xfree86.org/~dawes/intelfb.html

> Is the gfxdriver
> code the only addition to directfb for a new device?

Yes.

AFAICR the i810 driver uses DMA instead of MMIO because of some
performance issue. I don't know if i830+ chips have the same problems.