[directfb-users] Re: adding a new device to directFB

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 11:20:37AM -0700, Griffiths, RichardX A wrote:
> I was told that the open source driver depends upon BIOS calls. The
> application we're considering will have a stripped down BIOS that won't
> provide video calls.  Looks like a whole new driver.

AFAIK the XFree86 driver uses BIOS calls for mode switching. But intelfb
seems to do it properly. And the notes on the website support this.
Apparently it's only implemented for analog displays.

Oh and the driver seems to use DMA for fbcon acceleration.