[directfb-users] Re: Disabling IRE7.5 Setup in NTSC mode with dfbmga?

On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 04:48:30AM +0200, Patric Karlsson wrote:
> Hi, I've got a problem with NTSC mode when using the dfbmga module, the
> IRE7.5 Setup thingie is making my picture too bright. Pal mode is fine
> though.
> I've had exactly the same problem with my DXR3 with a BT865 video
> encoder, and I fixed it by disableing the IRE 7.5 register in the source.
> However I hardly know anything about the G400, and it would be nice if I
> could get some guidence.

You only need to increase contrast and/or reduce brightness. That will
move the black level closer to the blank level.

> Oh and another thing, is it possible to move the picture around? Cause
> it doensn't center correctly on my TV in PAL mode, and I'm having a bit
> of an overscan problem in NTSC mode, so is it possible to reduce the
> overscan by tweaking the source, or do I have to software scale?

You can move it around by hand editing the magic register values in
matrox_maven.c. The register settings are the same as used in Windows and
they are probably selected to match some standard (BT.470?).

Another option with mplayer is to use the expand filter to add black
borders around the picture. Scaling will still be performed by hardware.