[directfb-users] Re: XDirectFB on secend head flickers

[directfb-users] Re: XDirectFB on secend head flickers

Ville Syrjälä wrote:

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 09:31:03PM +0200, TheNop wrote:

Ville Syrjälä wrote:

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 03:49:05PM +0200, TheNop wrote:

Hi everybody,

I use XDirectFB on the second head (TV pal) of the Matrox G400.
The problem is, that on the tv output there is a heavy line flicker.
If there are horizontal lines on the screen the lines are jumping up an down.

If I use dfbinfo I see that the Matrox CRTC2 layer has the cap: flicker_filtering
Could it be possible, that the option can reduce the line flicker effect?
When yes, how can I switch it on?

You can try the attached patch. It allows dfblayer to toggle the layer options. You need to be using the multi-app core for it to work.

I just tried it myself but I didn't actually see any difference in the flicker. I remember that in Windows the difference was quite visible. So either my eyes aren't working today or the filter doesn't work unless the maven's scaler is used (or it requires some other magic bit to be enabled). In windows you can't actually enable the filter when watching videos w/ DVDMAx. It can only be enabled for normal dual head operation.

So please try the patch and let me know of the results. If the filter doesn't actually work I'll just remove it.

Howcan I patch the kernel 2.4.26 for multi-app core support?

If you're using 0.9.20 there should be a patch included in the patches directory. Even if the version of the patch doesn't match you kernel it will usually work because 2.4 doesn't get big changes anymore.

If you're using cvs DirectFB you can grab linux-fusion from cvs and compile the module outside the kernel tree. No need to patch the kernel. 0.9.20 might or might not work with linux-fusion too.

I have tested the option FLICKER_FILTERING but nothing happend.
I have the same line flicker effect as before. Switching on and off has no effect.

I tested xfree with fbdev driver on the TV an I saw the same line flicker effect as using XDirectFB.
Only when I'm using the mga driver for xfree I have real stable output on my TV without any line flicher effect.

Any ideas?

Best regards
TheNop