[directfb-users] Re: Questions about DirectFB Readme

Ville Syrjälä wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 07:52:16PM +0200, Otto Wyss wrote:
> freetype is required for the ft2 font provider. It's not strictly
> necessary but highly recommended. Without it DirectFB apps can only use
> one compiled in font.
>
> libjpeg, libpng are used by the image providers. Again they aren't
> strictly necessary but without them DirectFB apps can't access jpeg and
> png images.

That means to build DirectFB the devel version of these packages are
_required_ but for running DirectFB they aren't but recommended.

> > 2. The Readme mentions the following access rights
> >   crw-rw----    1 root     tty       29,   0  /dev/fb0
>
> This is required.
>
> >   crw-rw----    1 root     tty       10,   1  /dev/psaux
>
> Only needed if you use the ps2mouse input driver.
>
> >   crw-rw----    1 root     tty        4,   0  /dev/tty0
>
> It's required by the vt code.

I'm more concerned about the security of the devices, on a standard
Debian/sarge system they are secured as
  crw-------    1 root     tty       29,   0  /dev/fb0
  crw-------    1 root     tty       10,   1  /dev/psaux
  crw-------    1 root     tty        4,   0  /dev/tty0
And neither X nor console seems to have a problem in accessing them, why
needs DirectFB
  "crw-rw----"?

> > 3. Kernel tmpfs
> >   mount tmpfs /dev/shm -ttmpfs
> > Is this really needed? Why?
>
> It's used for shared memory. You only need it if you use the multi-app
> core. Most distros already have it mounted since other apps/libs might use
> it too.

Debian does as well, anyway if it's mentioned in the Readme that it's
already mounted would probably remove any confusion.

O. Wyss
--
See a huge pile of work at "http://wyodesktop.sourceforge.net/";