[directfb-users] Re: Questions about DirectFB Readme

On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 09:50:52AM +0200, Otto Wyss wrote:
> Ville Syrjälä wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 07:52:16PM +0200, Otto Wyss wrote:
> > freetype is required for the ft2 font provider. It's not strictly
> > necessary but highly recommended. Without it DirectFB apps can only use
> > one compiled in font.
> >
> > libjpeg, libpng are used by the image providers. Again they aren't
> > strictly necessary but without them DirectFB apps can't access jpeg and
> > png images.
> >
> That means to build DirectFB the devel version of these packages are
> _required_

Not reuired, but without the devel packages those specific font/image
providers will not be built.

> > > 2. The Readme mentions the following access rights
> > >   crw-rw----    1 root     tty       29,   0  /dev/fb0
> >
> > This is required.
> >
> > >   crw-rw----    1 root     tty       10,   1  /dev/psaux
> >
> > Only needed if you use the ps2mouse input driver.
> >
> > >   crw-rw----    1 root     tty        4,   0  /dev/tty0
> >
> > It's required by the vt code.
> >
> I'm more concerned about the security of the devices, on a standard
> Debian/sarge system they are secured as
>   crw-------    1 root     tty       29,   0  /dev/fb0
>   crw-------    1 root     tty       10,   1  /dev/psaux
>   crw-------    1 root     tty        4,   0  /dev/tty0
> And neither X

XFree86 is usually suid root.

> nor console seems

The console systems lives inside the kernel.

> to have a problem in accessing them, why
> needs DirectFB
>   "crw-rw----"?

Because it needs to read and/or write to them. You can either set up some
special groups so that access is limited and/or you can set up pam to
change the permissions for users who log in on the locally.