[directfb-users] Re: Running without root privileges

[directfb-users] Re: Running without root privileges

Quoting Tony Houghton:
> I know this has been asked before, but there wasn't a satisfactory
> answer. Is it simply not possible to use DirectFB without root
> privileges? I ultimately want to use it with VDR, and I'd rather not run
> that as root.
>
> I've just set up DirectFB 0.9.21 with a Matrox G450, using the HOWTO for
> reference. It works fine with MPlayer, but only as root. If I'm not root
> it gives a "KD_GRAPHICS failed" error. I looked at the source and saw
> that that error is generated when it tries to perform a KD_GRAPHICS
> ioctl on a /dev/tty* device (there is another place where it generates
> the same error in response to a SIGUSR2, but I changed the error
> messages to confirm it was the first one). I had already set appropriate
> permissions on the /dev/fusion and /dev/tty[0-9]* devices though.

Use the options "no-graphics-vt", "no-vt-switching" and "no-vt-switch"
by one of the following ways:

Pass "--dfb:no-graphics-vt,no-vt-switching,no-vt-switch" to the application,
which doesn't work with mplayer, I guess.

Export "DFBARGS=no-graphics-vt,no-vt-switching,no-vt-switch".

Add these options to "/etc/directfbrc", "~/.directfbrc",
"/etc/directfbrc.mplayer" or "~/.directfbrc.mplayer".