[directfb-users] Re: Running without root privileges

In <20050111135741.GC13516@master.directfb.org>, Denis Oliver Kropp wrote:

> Quoting Tony Houghton:
> > I know this has been asked before, but there wasn't a satisfactory
> > answer. Is it simply not possible to use DirectFB without root
> > privileges? I ultimately want to use it with VDR, and I'd rather not run
> > that as root.
> >
> > I've just set up DirectFB 0.9.21 with a Matrox G450, using the HOWTO for
> > reference. It works fine with MPlayer, but only as root. If I'm not root
> > it gives a "KD_GRAPHICS failed" error. I looked at the source and saw
> > that that error is generated when it tries to perform a KD_GRAPHICS
> > ioctl on a /dev/tty* device (there is another place where it generates
> > the same error in response to a SIGUSR2, but I changed the error
> > messages to confirm it was the first one). I had already set appropriate
> > permissions on the /dev/fusion and /dev/tty[0-9]* devices though.
>
> Use the options "no-graphics-vt", "no-vt-switching" and "no-vt-switch"
> by one of the following ways:
>
> Pass "--dfb:no-graphics-vt,no-vt-switching,no-vt-switch" to the application,
> which doesn't work with mplayer, I guess.
>
> Export "DFBARGS=no-graphics-vt,no-vt-switching,no-vt-switch".
>
> Add these options to "/etc/directfbrc", "~/.directfbrc",
> "/etc/directfbrc.mplayer" or "~/.directfbrc.mplayer".

None of those work with MPlayer I'm afraid. I also tried -vo directfb
instead of dfbmga, but no difference. :-(

I hope it's just MPlayer; having to use sudo for that won't be too much
of a problem as long as VDR's softdevice plugin (if and when I can get
that working at all!) will work without being root.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk