[directfb-users] Re: Running without root privileges

[directfb-users] Re: Running without root privileges

Quoting Tony Houghton:
> It does seem a nice, straightforward fix, but I've been trying that all
> along I'm afraid. As you say, the permissions of /dev/tty[0-9] seem to
> change dynamically, but I've been making sure they have g+rw access and
> that I'm a member of the appropriate group: they're currently owned by
> root but there is actually a tty group, which I've also made myself a
> member of. At one point I even backed up /dev/ and gave myself group
> access to the whole lot of it, but that didn't help either.

The kernel does an explicit check for the root user in certain ioctls ;(

IIRC at least VT_GETSTATE was prohibited regardless of the device perms.

> Having consoles on the TV would be a nice little "bonus" feature as long
> as it doesn't interfere with DFB, but solving this access problem is my
> main priority for now.

You can use DFBTerm on the TV.