[directfb-users] Re: df_xine with Matrox G450 TV-out

In <20050127144247.GA2062@sci.fi>, Ville Syrjälä wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 05:19:06PM +0000, Tony Houghton wrote:
> > I can't get df_xine to work with my TV. Depending on various vt options
> > in /etc/directfbrc and/or whether I use df_xine -l 2, I either get a
> > completely black screen or flickering spots and mangled black & white
> > bits of picture reminiscent of a very knackered VCR.
>
> With primary-layer=2 you need to use df_xine -l 0.
>
> If you don't force the layer df_xine seems to make some bad assumptions
> about the primary layer.
>
> Also for some reason it doesn't allow YUV formats unless the layer has
> DLCAPS_SCREEN_LOCATION. Claudio what's the deal with this one?
>
> A short test of df_xine has convinced me to stick with mplayer. Having
> tried just two divx files CPU usage with df_xine is about 57% with both
> files whereas with mplayer I get about 17% for one and 7% for the other.
> Quite a difference and it makes me think something is very very wrong with
> df_xine.

Maybe df_xine uses only simple generic calls, whereas MPlayer can take
better advantage of the acceleration features? It has a driver
especially for Matrox as well as generic DirectFB.

I was looking at it because I have problems with VDR's softdevice
plugin, and thought using its xine plugin might be an option in the
meantime. But seeing as the biggest problem is lack of fieldparity
support for interlaced DVB, and it doesn't look as if df_xine supports
that either, it isn't much use to me after all.

Perhaps I should say I haven't tried df_xine since I learnt to use -l 0
because I uninstalled all the CVS stuff and reverted to 0.9.21 because
the CVS version was making MPlayer fail with a DirectFB error about
unable to grab an input device.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk